Terms & Conditions
Below is an outline of the terms and conditions of your application and stay with Greenpop in the Eden District, Garden Route, South Africa. This is to ensure that you are able to get maximum enjoyment and fulfillment from your time with us, as well as to ensure your safety and that of others involved during your stay. We ask that you consider the aims and objectives of the programme, and make every effort to support the other participants and our Greenpop staff in the work that we are doing.
- Please note that each application upon acceptance carries a deposit fee USD 100/ ZAR 1000 (incl. VAT) which is non-refundable in all instances. If you participate in the Trees for Fees programme you don’t have to pay a deposit but your placement will only be confirmed after you have raised funds for 10 trees through your GivenGain Activist project online.
- In the case of non-payment of your total fee (deposit plus balance) by 5 September 2021 (unless you have made prior arrangements with us) or in the instance where we have reached full capacity, we reserve the right to cancel your application. If you apply less than 30 days prior to the start of your placement, you will be asked to make full payment within two weeks of accepting your application.
- Any information and advice provided by Greenpop on matters such as permits, visas, vaccinations, packing list, transport measures, safety, etc. is given in good faith, but no responsibility is taken on the part of Greenpop. It is up to each individual to research and arrange these matters for themselves.
- Everyone is required to have emergency medical insurance for the duration of their stay. For people from outside of South Africa, travel insurance is required. Please be aware that in the event of a medical emergency, you will be held liable for any costs incurred with regards to evacuation, air repatriation, hospital, and medical costs. If you are covered by travel /medical insurance, you will be able to claim from your insurer for this afterwards.
- Your application is accepted on the understanding that you realize the potential hazards that may arise in this kind of travel, including injury, disease, loss or damage of property, inconvenience, death or discomfort.
- Greenpop reserves the right to terminate a participant’s placement, without recourse, if it comes to light that the participant failed to provide accurate personal information, or provided inaccurate/incomplete information with his/her application.
- If you are under the age of 18 years, you will need signed permission and signed indemnity forms from your parent(s) and/or guardian(s) to participate in the programme and in any adventure activities that you wish to take part in on your day off.
- If you are booking on behalf of a group, you accept these terms and conditions on behalf of all members of your party and are responsible for all payments due from the party.
- If you cancel your placement 91 days (or more) before the start of your placement, we will refund 100% of the programme fee, excluding your deposit of USD 100/ ZAR 1000 which is non-refundable in all instances (except in the case of Greenpop cancelling because of Covid-19 or another SA lockdown – see next section). Funds raised for the Trees for Fees programme are always non-refundable whether you reach your tree-raising goal or not and whether you decide to come to the Festival of Action or not – we will still plant the trees on your behalf and be very grateful!
- If you cancel between 61 and 90 days before the start of your placement, we will refund 50% of the programme fee to you.
- If you cancel within 30 days of your start date, we apologize but we cannot return any payments to you.
- If the programme has to be canceled for reasons pertaining to safety or natural causes, Greenpop will refund your programme fee but cannot take responsibility for refunding loss of income or travel costs, etc.
- Cancellation fees will be waived if any participant cancels their own placement as a result of confirmed safety or health reasons in the country, and these are confirmed by the World Health Organization (WHO) within South Africa. Participants who have secured comprehensive travel insurance* will, in the event of cancellation, first claim from their insurer. Upon confirmed proof of insurance conclusion, we will credit the balance between what was paid to us for the specific itinerary and what the insurance has paid to the traveler. Those participants wishing to cancel, who did not take out relevant/adequate travel insurance will receive a credit for the amount already paid to us.
Covid-19 and Lockdowns
- If Greenpop has to cancel the programme because of a lockdown in South Africa or a regulation that does not allow events of this nature at the time, Greenpop will refund your full programme fee (including deposit) but cannot take responsibility for refunding loss of income or travel costs, etc.
- Greenpop reserves the right to cancel the programme at any time if we feel it is the right thing to do regarding COVID-19.
Refund policy while on the programme
- If your placement is terminated by Greenpop at any time during your stay at the programme for any reasonable reason you will not be entitled to a refund.
- If you terminate your placement at any time during your stay on the programme, you will not be entitled to a refund.
- If your placement is terminated, whether by Greenpop or by yourself, you will not be entitled to claim for any expenses made due to the change in your travel itinerary.
General Rules on the programme
- We ask that you do not carry or use any illicit substances or non-prescription drugs for the duration of your stay.
- Dangerous items, such as knives or any weapons, are strictly forbidden and we reserve the right to search your belongings in the event that there is suspicion you are carrying anything harmful to yourself or others.
- We ask that you do not bring yourself or Greenpop into disrepute or involve any other participant or employee in any behaviour that might amount to disrepute. If your behaviour is found to be detrimental to the programme, you may be asked to leave immediately without compensation. (Please see our refund policy above in this document.)
- Please, at all times, remain presentable and appropriately dressed. We expect you to behave with a level of courtesy consistent with the situation and local customs.
- We ask you to be considerate of fellow participants and coordinators by being punctual for your activities and duties to the best of your ability.
- Please do not take days off from the programme unless you have given prior notice and it has been agreed by Greenpop coordinators. (Unless you are ill or it has been stated that it’s an optional day.)
- If your behaviour, words or actions are thought to be disruptive by Greenpop staff or if you are thought to be a bad influence on others then after one warning, either verbal or written, you may be removed from the programme without compensation.
- Please keep the tented camp area tidy at all times and respect the recycling and washing up systems put in place for the programme.
- Please consider other campers in the campsite and refrain from making a loud noise around the campfire or in the tent area late at night, early in the morning, or if others have gone to bed.
- Bringing people who are not part of the programme to camp is not allowed unless permission is given by Greenpop staff.
- By attending the Greenpop Eden Festival of Action, you agree to possibly appear in our film or photographs. We may use this material on various platforms unless you have specifically requested that we do not use any film or media containing you personally.
You will be learning and getting active 5 days per week, and you will be given a schedule of activities. There is 1 full day off and some slots each day for optional activities per week. However, we ask that you show reasonable flexibility in the event that we do not run on schedule due to external influences.
Expectations and Code of Conduct
Africa provides an ever-changing environment, power failures, water, and fuel shortages, temperature fluctuations, and other uncontrollable/unplanned situations do occur. Water shortages are a major factor in the Western Cape region. You will need to remain flexible, understanding and good-humoured if a problem occurs while our team sorts it out.
We view the service learning experience as a commitment that includes a willingness to overcome challenges of various sorts. In cases where participants are experiencing difficulties, we strongly encourage creative, collaborative solutions. At the same time, we respect the ability and freedom of our participants to make their own judgments and understand that volunteer work only functions well when participants retain the will to participate fully and energetically.
To ensure that participants have a most enjoyable and safe time whilst on placement we have set down a code of conduct. Please study the Code so that there is no confusion.
|Code of conduct||1st offense||2nd offense||3rd offense|
||Verbal warning||Written warning||Termination|